Teaching English just posted this question on Facebook about how to celebrate holidays at school.
With Christmas just around the corner, many of us are looking for ways to bring a festive spirit into our classrooms. Have you got any suggestions for class activities that can help us to animate the last days of term?
Here are just a few quick and easy things you can do to bring the holidays into your classroom!
- Presents. Buy the students small gifts like a pencil for the final exam
- Bring in holiday snacks like hot chocolate or Christmas cookies
- Decorate your classroom.
- Have students decorate your classroom. Bring in instructions and turn it into process essay practice.
- Write Christmas cards to your students. Include one highlight and one thing they can do better.
- Have students write Christmas cards to each other.
- Have students write New Year’s resolutions. And practice the future tenses.
- Have students choose a local charity and collect money from the school for it–that could involve writing advertising flyers, going to other classrooms and giving persuasive speeches, or selling crafts.
- Have students write a holiday memory. Turn it into a narrative essay.
- Read to students. Every day for a week read them A Christmas Carol or some other Christmas book.
- Watch the Charlie Brown movies. Here are some Charlie Brown specials lesson plans to help you do that.
- Do a Word of the Day Advent calendar!
- Have a gift swap
- Merit points for doing good things. The winner gets a small present from you.
Other ideas for quick and easy ways to give your classroom a holiday spirit?Liked this post? Check out some of my books on